2 T olive oil
1/2 pound pork, chicken, or turkey chorizo sausages, casings removed
3 C chopped onions
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 T chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
5 pounds turkey thighs with bones, skinned, boned, meat cut into 1-inch cubes
2 C low-salt chicken broth
12 ounces Doux South® Mean Green Tomatoes, chopped
1 C drained canned diced tomatoes
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro stems
2 T (or more, to taste) Doux South® Mean Green Tomato Pickle brine
1 T chopped jalapeño chile with seeds (about 1 small)
- Char poblanos directly over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in plastic bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed, and chop poblanos.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
3. Add chorizo; sauté until cooked through, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 minutes.
4. Add onions and garlic. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Mix in chili powder and cumin.
5. Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper. Add to pot and stir. Add broth, Mean Green Tomatoes and the next 4 ingredients.
6. Mix in roasted poblanos. Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until turkey is tender, about 45 minutes.
7. Season chili with more Mean Green Tomato pickle brine, if desired, and salt and pepper.