1-1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup canola oil
3 slices of bacon, small dice
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 rib of celery, small diced
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and small diced
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 jar (16 oz.) of Doux South® Drunken Tomatoes, brine reserved
1-½ tablespoons curry powder
1 Bay leaf
¼ cup dried currants
1 cup steamed white rice (for serving)
Roasted and salted peanuts for garnish
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a deep-sided sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken to heated oil and cook chicken until browned well on each side, approximately 8 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Discard oil and return pan to medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until slightly crisp, approximately 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pan, add garlic, celery, pepper, onions and cook until soft.
- Add Drunken Tomatoes and Bay Leaf. Cook until tomatoes break down and vegetable mixture thickens.
- Stir in curry powder and currants. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken thighs back to vegetable mix and place into an oven ready pan. Place the pan into the preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove Bay Leaf, spoon Country Captain over steamed rice and garnish with crispy bacon, peanuts, and parsley.