Picked Black-Eyed Pea Summer Succotash
*Recipe created by Jeremiah Weston of Wrecking Bar Brew Pub, as demonstrated at Peachtree Road Farmer’s Market, Aug. 2015
1 jar Doux South Black Eyed Pea, Little Rock Caviar (drained and liquid reserved)
3 red peppers diced
1 onion diced
5 ears of sweet corn (kernels removed from the cob)
1/2 lb. bacon diced
2 pints cherry, sungold, or grape tomatoes halved
2 cloves garlic minced
2 T butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place diced bacon in a medium hot saute’ pan and render as much fat out as possible. This will take about 5-6 min.
2. Remove the bacon, leaving the bacon fat in the pan and then add onion, peppers, corn, and tomatoes to the pan and cook on medium-high heat for 5-6 min.
3. Add minced garlic to the vegetable mixture and saute’ 1 min.
4. Deglaze te pan with a 1/4 C of the Little Rock Caviar reserved brine. Reduce for 30 seconds.
5. Place the butter into the pan and coat the vegetables with the butter and liquid in the pan.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Bacon ends are the same recipe as bacon (we use Pine St. bacon ends) and using Banner Butter’s unsalted butter makes it very tasty!