Mussels with Mean Green Tomatoes and Tequila
1/2 C (1 stick) butter
5 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 C diced Mean Green Tomatoes
1/2 C sliced green onions
1/2 C thinly sliced celery
6 -1/4-inch-thick slices jalapeño with seeds
¼ C tequila
2 T fresh lime juice
1 1/4 pounds mussels (about 40), scrubbed, de-bearded
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix in Green tomatoes, and then next 5 ingredients.
- Add mussels. Cover and steam until mussels open, about 7 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open).
- Using slotted spoon transfer mussels to large bowl.
- Simmer sauce uncovered until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over mussels and serve with toasted bread.